Saturday, March 03, 2007

Let's go sledding!

Matt and I went to New Hampshire last weekend to go snowmobiling. This a group shot from our ride on Sunday. That's me and Matt on the right. In the middle is Dennis, our host, and his girlfriend Deb. On the left is Dennis' brother Patrick and his girlfriend Rachel. Dennis lives right near the lake, so it's a quick ride out his backyard onto the lakes and trails. The trails were in great condition, and the weather was perfect for our ride on Sunday. Blue skies!

Matt has snowmobiled for years, but I have never been before. I look pretty comfortable on the sled, but then again it's not moving. :) I was pretty sore when I got home, but it was worth it. Saturday was trial by fire -- we went out Dennis' back door and rode on the frozen lake. I quickly got used to the speed -- it was fun. Sunday we basically rode the trails. Some of the trails were narrower and twistier (is that a word) than others, so it was nervewracking at times. I had to remind myself that I was riding through the beautiful snow-covered woods. We covered more than 40 miles on Sunday!

Matt bought himself a new (well, new-to-him) snowmobile while he was up there. It's a 1998 Ski-Doo MXZ 670. Apparently it's quite fast (over 150 horsepower), and I think it's pretty. Now Matt just needs some spare time and snow to ride it!


Even the novice that I am knew that the trail conditions were really good. They had a lot of snow up there, so there were a minimal number of rocks on the trail. At times it was hard for me to comprehend the trail system and how it wound through the woods. At one point, we actually rode on the perimeter of someone's farm. We used the farm as a rest stop. Patrick enjoyed the two ostriches (or were they emus) that they kept at the farm. And we all enjoyed the old John Deere tractor and 1925 Ford. On the way home, we passed right by the Seventh Day Adventists Church. Snow apparently is not an excuse to miss church.

No comments: